Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Cuban Missile


I found myself loosely quoting Crash Davis almost from the minute I walked into the stadium “I wouldn’t dig in too much; I don’t know where it’s gonna’ go. I swear to God.” The Indianapolis Indians were facing the Louisville Bats, and Aroldis Chapman was on the hill for Louisville. The Indians are the hometown team around here, and frankly, I couldn’t have cared less. I was there to see The Wild Thing personified, and hopefully, the first 100mph fastball – however wild – I’d ever seen. I was not disappointed.

I was with my sons, and we walked into Victory Field about 10 minutes prior to the first pitch. Chapman was warming up in the visitors’ bullpen, and it so happened we had to walk by on the way to our seats. The boys must have thought I was crazy wanting to watch some guy throw on the sidelines, but I made them all stop and take it in. Especially my 7 year old - who fancies himself as a decent baseball player, which he is for a 7 year old - as I felt like seeing "real" pitching would do him some good and maybe help curtail his growing ego. He’s never seen a major league fastball up close, and he’s sure never seen a slider; let alone one that moves 2 feet. So I lined them up behind the bullpen catcher (Corky Miller on this night), right down the right field line. Chapman threw a couple of fastballs, then dropped his glove, letting Miller know the deuce was on the way. Wow. It didn’t break; it bit. So much so, Chapman obviously had no idea where it might end up. It also gave me a good idea why he isn’t in Cincinnati. The song I eventually want to hear when he walks out of the Cincinnati bullpen isn’t “Wild Thing” by The Troggs, but rather Janet Jackson’s “Control.” He gets that? Turn out the lights.

Reports of “century fastballs” have followed Chapman since he signed a >$30 million contract with the Red this past winter. He started the game leisurely firing his #1, and 94 mph looked easy. He turned up the gas late in the 1st inning, breaking 95 and 96 with ease. In fact, in the 5 1/3 innings he worked, Chapman broke 95 mph 27 times. The thing I loved most however, was the extra gear he has on his fastball. When he wanted to, he added just enough to the heater to produce a very noticeable “something extra” which topped 100 mph on 3 different occasions. The Victory Field scoreboard registered just 99, but scouts reported 100 and 101; and believe me….It looked and sounded like it. All I could do was laugh, as I have no clue how anyone hits that; and in my day, I was a decent stick. But he lacked control, and walked 5 Indians on the night. Chapman gave up just 3 hits and a single run; and overall I was impressed. His off-speed stuff is 15-20 mph slower than his fastball, and Indians hitters were off balance all night.

Chapman’s delivery is a little quirky. When in the windup, he does a kind of “toe-heel-toe” rock before he pitches, and it seems like he’s searching for rhythm. His stretch delivery is a little long, but he has an incredible pickoff move, so runners won’t stray too far. In short, Chapman has major league stuff without any question. In fact, as a spectator from the 4th row, it’s far and away the best I’ve seen up close. But since he walked 5 and actually threw behind a guy, I doubt he’ll be on the Reds bench any time soon. He has fun when he plays, and his infectious smile was on display all night, especially when he got to bat. He was almost too playful when he struck out on 3 pitches his first time up, but the next time, after a clean single to left; he asked to keep the baseball. This is going to be equally fun and interesting if you’re a Reds fan. Dusty Baker does not deserve this kid, and I for one hope Dusty’s long gone by the time Chapman takes the hill as a major leaguer. When Chapman gets control of his pitches, his stay in the majors should be a long one, barring injury. My sons will hopefully grow up with him the way I grew up with Nolan Ryan.

"Hawaii doesn't win many games in the United States." - Lee Corso

RT Brightman

No comments: