Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thoughts in the Middle of Summer

I am trying. I am really trying to enjoy the World Cup. I'm trying to understand, and I'm trying to open my mind to absorb this event and this sport many people say "Americans will just never get." And you know what? I hope we don't. I hope we never blow kazoos for 3 hours while guys run around chasing a ball. I hope we never send death threats to a guy who cost us a tie in a round robin game as some Englishmen have apparently done to their goalie who fumbled a ball against the US on Saturday. I hope dozens of people are never killed because of a national sporting event. I hope Americans never throw condoms filled with urine at opposing fans. I hope Amreicans never fall in love with players who writhe in complete Hollywood agony when they fall down, only to get back up and run at a dead sprint a minute later. (It reminds me of Wile E. Coyote every time) And I hope Americans never try to convince each other that a "nil-nil" tie is a "perfectly played game." I tried watching for a while. I even tried watching Ghana play Serbia so I wouldn't have a "country bias" rooting against the limey Brits. But it's useless. I hate soccer.

Nebraska is joining the Big 10, and I find myself wondering if the Indiana Football Hoosiers can ever catch a break or will ever be relevant. I don't envision a "north/south" divisional split. There just aren't enough teams "south," and so many share a common latitude. The only way to do it seems to be east/west, and that likely puts Indiana with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Purdue. The west division would be Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Playing Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan every year all but ensures there will be no Hoosier caravan to Pasadena ever again. No way Indiana beats all 3 of those teams in the same season. In 1987 when IU beat Ohio State and Michigan, it was a perfect storm, literally. Ohio State was way down because of a bad coaching hire (Earle Bruce), and the game against Michigan was played in a downpour. Indiana had Anthony Thompson and a good defensive line. On that day, it was enough. On a clean track? Michigan likely wins that game. I'm looking forward to seeing how Jim Delaney divides the conference into divisions, but the aforementioned split would be a death knell for Indiana. Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State are 3 of the top 8 most powerful college football programs in history. Indiana simply can't compete; especially when most of their recruits are choosing between Indiana and a bunch of MAC schools.

Dusty Baker simply has to stop giving his players Sundays off. Today it was Brandon Phillips and Scott Rolen. I don't understand, with an off day Monday, why he continues to give multiple players the day off on the same day. The game against the Royals on Sunday might as well have been a forfeit. But I feel that way about every game Paul Janish plays. I don't get that guy. I keep hearing what a great shortstop he is, but he misses at least one seemingly makable play every time I watch him, and his bat's made of balsa wood. Surely there's a Dominican out there somewhere who can give the Reds more than Janish. But the bottom line? I simply do not understand Dusty Baker sometimes. It almost feels like he wants to win, but wants to make sure everyone gets a participation trophy, too.

RT Brightman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I feel your pain as a Cub fan who had to sit through the same crap for 4 years. The Sunday off thing will never change. He did the same crap here.

-Rob - Battlin