Friday, October 15, 2010

Notes Written on my Bathroom Mirror

* The Cincinnati Reds were not ready for the big time. I was reminded of Gene Hackman's timeout rant from "Hoosiers." "Maybe we don't belong up here!!!" If ever a professional team looked totally unprepared and completely dominated, that was it. Under the bright lights of national exposure, the Reds folded like a contortionist and really embarrassed themselves. As a fan, I was hoping for better. As a would-be general manager, I go out and find a left fielder with a big right-handed bat and I don't particularly care what it takes to get him (Ryan Braun, anyone?). I find a shortstop. Paul Janish is not the answer, and Cabrera can't play every day. I make Scott Rolen rest at least every 4th day, and I find out if Juan Francisco can play in the majors on a regular basis. I take a good hard look at any trade involving Coco Cordero and I don't shy away from a good deal for Brandon Phillips. I lock up Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Drew Stubbs. And I lose sleep at night wondering what idiot convinced me to give Dusty Baker a contract extension.

* Ron Jaworski said today that "father time has caught up with Peyton Manning." I wonder if he's actually watched the games or if he simply saw the stat line from last week's Chiefs game and came to the illogical conclusion that because Manning didn't throw a touchdown pass, he must be getting old. I wonder if he realized Manning had the best 4-game start of his career and was in the top 5 of every positive QB category. I really wonder what the national obsession is for trashing the Colts. Because they're not a traditional team in the sense they don't win with a running game and defense, they've become a popular and easy target for the lazy pundit-types who clearly don't watch the team and don't pay attention. Cris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson (when I'm done here, someone please explain to me how CBS couldn't do any better than those two shills) have been trashing the Colts for years, and all the Colts do is win 12 games every season. Mike Greenberg called him "the best regular season quarterback I've ever seen," but then said he's probably the most disappointing post-season quarterback. 9-9 with a 63% completeion rate, a QB rating of 88 (since 2002 only one below 90, by the way) and 28 TD's compared with 19 INT's - 7 of which came in 2006 when the Colts won the Super Bowl - passes for disappointing? Good. I hope the national media continues to let the Colts fly under the radar. And I hope Manning remembers during his hall of fame speech.

* Midnight madness is tonight, which means college basketball's in the air and we get to listen to Dick Vitale again soon. As an Indiana University alum and fan, I'm cautiously optimistic that IU's fortunes will soon change. I have a gut feeling the dam's about to break and I hope people get their shots in now. I fully expect Cody Zeller to commit to Indiana next month, and I expect several followers. We're bbaaaaaaaaccckkk..

* Staying with the IU theme for a minute, does anyone outside the football office down there really believe Bill Lynch is the right man to lead that team and program? He's the nicest, kindest man on the planet; but as a head coach at a Big 10school, I simply don't see it. Indiana seems destined for its 3rd straight last place finish, yet Lynch and Fred Glass continue to talk about "seeing improvement!" Where, Coach? When you laid down for Ohio State? When you made the same mistakes your team has for 3 years while losing to Michigan? Was it the ref's fault again? The defense has clearly regressed, the running game is non-existent; and Lynch does nothing but praise how good IU's opponents have been. The recruiting classes have drawn praise, but while they're better by IU standards, they're consistently ranked last in the Big 10. Until Indiana University takes football seriously, it's not going to win. Until losing is no longer acceptable, Indiana will not win. I like Bill Lynch personally, but he seems in way over his head at the division 1 level.

* I really want to see a Rangers-Phillies World Series. I want to see Roy Halladay pitch to Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz. I want to see Ryan Howard hit in that bandbox in Arlington. And I hate the Yankees.

RT Brightman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love reading your thoughts Rob